Monday 16 December 2013

Love Story

This is the story of when my romance with Manchester United (the club you love to hate) all began. It was way back in 1970 (I was in Form 2) when TVs were still black and white. I can't remember whether it was a live telecast, most probably not. I didn't know a thing about Manchester United then, I just watched the game. They were playing a team called Northampton in a 5th round FA Cup tie. MU was then the club of Bobby Charlton (now a director on the board of MU), Brian Kidd (assistant manager to Alex Ferguson when he won his first Champions League in that 1999 mother of all finals against Bayern Munich) and George Best (to me, the greatest MU player of all time who wasted his life on wine and women).


It was this guy with the long hair and bearded face who was flying down the wing (like our modern day Giggs) who absolutely captivated me. He was Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney all combined into one. He could dribble as though the ball was stuck to his foot. He could do everything imaginable with a ball. He had the world at his feet. He was a footballing genius - dazzling ball skills, speed flying past defenders, two-footed. But he couldn't resist women. Haizzzz.

That day in 1970, I watched him scored a hattrick, no not one hattrick, but two. He scored six goals that day. This guy was not human. He took football off the back pages and put it on page one. You want to watch his double hattrick? Thanks to modern technology, the link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcPeaeJ0Id4

From that day, I became a fan of MU, still am and always will. MU is a club with a history of tragedy and glory. My experience of MU? It will bring you to the deepest hell and then raise you to the highest heaven. That's what it is. Glory, glory, Manchester United!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment