Sunday 15 December 2013

Oui!!! Exam coming ler!!!

Exams!!! This is the festive cum exam period. Are exams stressful? I don't know about you but in my time as a student, it definitely was. My mum would come after me with a piece of firewood if I failed my exam. My geography teacher would flatten my head with a cricket bat if I failed to answer his question. You call these negative motivation? Not applicable? To hell they were effective!!! There were no two ways about it - failure was unacceptable. Full stop.

So, how are you preparing for the exams? I'm sure you wouldn't want to be like Mr Bean below. 


OMG!!!!

To relieve your stress, here's a link to a video featuring Mr Bean taking exam. Watch it - you will laugh your head off!! Hahaha!!

I don't know what your preferred style of studying is. Different people have different styles. Some like to do it in groups. Some prefer to do it solo. Some in pairs. I belong to the last group. :)) When I was in university, I used to go to the library with my then girlfriend and studied together. Call it positive motivation. Haha!! After studying, we would go for supper and then, then what ah? I say, forgot already. Anyway, group studying is quite effective if everybody is serious. Read the topic, ask each other questions, evaluate the answers, criticize and praise each other. You've read and seen the materials, and you've heard it being discussed. That should be pretty reinforcing. The risky part about group studying is when members are not disciplined and they drift off-tangent and start chitchatting unproductively. Members need to maintain a strict code of discipline. Keep to the objective, don't get distracted.

If you are taking quantitative courses, Accounting for example, you need to practise. The formula for success is that simple - just keep practising. Accounting exam is a race against time. The more you practise, the more efficient you become. You cannot study Accounting the way that you study other subjects. You cannot just read. You have to do the exercises over and over again. Practise by doing the tutorial questions all over again. That would be a good start.


There is no need to study for too long at any one stretch of time. The mind can only concentrate for maybe 40 - 50 minutes. Beyond that, learning capacity drops. Stop for while, take a break, do some physical exercises, go yum cha, then come back and continue. Cheers!!!








6 comments:

  1. Yes, I fully agree with all that you mentioned. And, I like the last sentence ... take a break... suggestion ==> it would be nice to take a shower, maybe some sit-up, yum-cha but not "kwai lo leong sui" because you won't be back and continue!! ha.. ha..ha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kwai lo leong sui??? Hahaha!!! Too much of it will break your back. Ask Simson!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your advice. Haha.. so true but I can never study in a group.
    discussing and asking each other question can only be done after they have fully studied on their own and atleast know the basics of it. or else no use discussing abt it if you don't know what your friends are talking about. hahaha...

    http://www.tenshichn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, Tenshi. Group interaction is so emphasized in organizations nowadays. Maybe we can call it knowledge sharing. It is only when knowledge is shared, then only will knowledge grows. It's not my cup of tea though. Is it that bloggers prefer working alone? :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess people who talks with the pc pretty much prefer the introvert moments with the pc. lol.

      It's not that I don't like tohmm.. study in groups. Just that sometimes I need sometime to absorb n digest info.

      Especially when I have not done my revision, I don't understand what was being discussed and it makes me more confused. Hence I prefer to study alone. Only if I am prepared with the basics at least, will I benefit from group studies. Also, because I can easily be distracted when studying in group my friend's actions or murmurs. lol...

      Delete
    2. Think I made too much noise during my younger days and antagonized my friends. My group would always end up quarreling with each other, but guys being guys, we forgive and forget. I've no more fire in my tummy now to get into any conflict, so very much prefer working alone. :)

      Delete